Thread: Cleaning Autorun.inf

Cleaning Autorun.inf

I am using dell laptop in which the operating system is Windows XP. I am using Norton antivirus. I am getting a small box right side down that please scan the virus. your system may be at risk. I am not able to see or open hidden folders and files, and also the C and D drive from my computer. When I scan it shows the virus "autorun.inf". How can I know that the virus is their in my laptop and how can I remove it totally from my laptop.

Re: How to delete virus "autorun.inf"

This virus is very effective. The autorun.inf file continues to show the reason for this is the virus has been copied continuously to every drive of your system. I know it because in my system I got virus recently. First up all we have to understand how it works, so that we can get rid of it. I made a research how to get rid from it. You have to delete certain registry manually in order to prevent from autorunning of your system startup. I am not able to know what type of virus your system has. Better to get some help from a professional person.

Run your system in a safe mode, after that go to my computer properties and restore the system function. After some time restart your system and run it in a command prompt mode. In that mode the flowing you have to type ATTRIB Autorun.inf -H -S -R. If you find this file in your drive then delete it. You can do this for all your drives. The most important things to remember is you have to restart your system for every drive.

To control the virus this are the following steps : Install only one antivirus software, don't install a number of antivirus. If you had installed too many, then remove all and keep any one. Update your antivirus daily. Restore option in my computer >system properties>system restore>disable and make it disable. The virus will start spreading if it is not disabled. Update your windows live to make sure all the pathes are update, if not then update it. After this reboot your system, press f8 and select safe mode. Run your antivirus software. If your antivirus detect a virus then delete it. See that the windows update and antivirus is update daily or up to date for the best.