Thread: Clarkconnect server to cache Windows data update

Clarkconnect server to cache Windows data update

I have a set up of Clarkconnect server with squid to cache any data update for Windows. It takes good cache update of Windows XP/2003 but does not cache the updates of Windows Vista.

Do you know of a solution or have any alternative to my problem; since I updated a dozen machines running Windows Vista that download 300 MB every time and this saves my lot of time.

Re: Clarkconnect server to cache Windows data update

I think there is some misunderstanding of why this is designed in Squid.

Squid is a cache (proxy) for the Internet. It is intermediate between a PC's internal network and web server on the Internet protocol (http, https or ftp). It receives a URL, performs the request, receives the result and delivers it to client PC. But it keeps cached result if another client would request the same. Squid keeps then cached objects (images, html file, ...).

Memory is the factor of the Squid config because it must keep in memory an index to all objects stored on disk. A special setting defines the maximum size of objects stored in cache: setting default Squid is 4M, may be passed to 8M for IPCOP?

As indicated on the website of squid, be careful not to unduly increase this value. Just think just a little wisdom of this setting to observe that this is right.

So updates to Windows to 300 MB (Office 2007 SP2 and others ...) are not cached and also will not be!

But Connect_Me, I think when the guy says 300MB, than it means the total number of patches and not just 'a'.

But, as you rightly pointed out, Squid will not cache what it recognizes. HTTP or FTP. To all the trick shots microsoft called 'BITS' (Intelligent Transfer in the background) is completely misunderstood by squid!

No, its not like that Steve. I may be wrong but I think that BITS is a system designed to make recovery update in a controlled manner. I think that the transfer itself remains in http but it is a system queue with a limited bandwidth (hence "background") and the management re-test.

So Squid can also intervene on such flows (see access.log). With well over that limit I suggest (and that applies to windows update). Limitation little known and little understood elsewhere.

An update to SP3 XP S2 is cheerfully 300MB, as an Office 2007 SP2.

"Indeed ... but looking a little more, I found that WSUS seems to answer the question: I searched on WSUS and I realize"

He had been looking around the Windows update and the answer is certainly WSUS.

What is certain is that I never had the idea to install SP3 part other than a shared (or source) file. And with the option "/nobackup" which is more

Now, just ask Microsoft to launch tcpdump or to get an idea of how to proceed BITS.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...28(VS.85).aspx

learns that it is a protocol over HTTP. So squid could hide effectiveness fragments without understanding anything.