Thread: TrojanDownloader:ASX/Wimad.BV on Compaq Presario

TrojanDownloader:ASX/Wimad.BV on Compaq Presario

I have just set up a new Compaq Presario CQ3000 desktop computer. I have hardly used this computer for two weeks but it is already infected by TrojanDownloader:ASX/Wimad.BV. I am not that used to computer. Whenever I boot my desktop or go online there are various pop-ups that appear. Also every time when I open my Windows Media Player my internet explorer starts on its own. What is this TrojanDownloader:ASX/Wimad.BV? I am not able to delete it using McAfee. What should I do ?

Re: TrojanDownloader:ASX/Wimad.BV on Compaq Presario

TrojanDownloader:ASX/Wimad.BV is a trojan that infects the Windows Media Player File. Microsoft has granted this trojan a Severe Alert Level. This trojan is a Advanced Streaming Format (ASF) file. When the user opens this file in the Windows Media Player, that time the user is asked to download and execute undetermined files. These ASP files are found to be along with .mp3, .asx and .wma files. This will also ask the user to download a Adware:Win32/Playmp3z file for Windows Media Player.

First of all uninstall your Windows Media player completely from your computer. Then try to Restore your computer to an earlier safe point. To restore your computer, Press the Windows keys on the keyboard and go to All Programs. Now select Accessories and then System Tools. Over select the System Restore system tool. This will help you to restore your computer's settings to an earlier safe point. Now you can use your McAfee to scan your computer delete the Trojan- TrojanDownloader:ASX/Wimad.BV.

I would suggest you to un-install both your Windows Media player as well as McAfee anti-virus. As your McAfee is not able to delete the trojan I do not think it is of any use. Download AVG Antivirus Professional to protect your computer and also to delete TrojanDownloader:ASX/Wimad.BV trojan. Boot your system in safe mode to disable all third party applications and run a full system scan to destroy this trojan from your computer.