Thread: What is bridge mode ?

What is bridge mode ?

Hi,

I have ADSL modem with an Ethernet connection. I get errors like the" phone line is busy", I searched on the net and found that I need to change to bridge mode. But I want to know first, what is bridge mode ?

Re: What is bridge mode ?

when you connect a router to a DSL modem, usually you have to put the modem in bridge mode to pass the internet through ADSL modem then the router. To do this you have to do some configuration changes to the DSL modem. In 802.11b/g/a/n-type wireless networks, bridge mode configuration requires that the wireless part of being configured to be a station for a given access point, so a configuration interface, often through an embedded web server is usually provided.

Bridge Mode is a configuration option to enable transparent bridge. Choosing the correct mode is essential for a stable and correct installation of wireless and related applications each mode are different. Bridges operate at the data link layer (level 2) and do not understand anything about any communications protocol other than the physical (MAC), which is typically an Ethernet connection. In cable networks such as Ethernet bridge mode generally requires no additional configuration, as both sides are equal.

In bridge mode mode, the router basically accepts a single device and controls all traffic on the network dedicated to this device. if your modem is set in pppoe mode & you try to dial connection from windows you will obviously get line busy error because modem is already using the line to make the connection & even if it is not connecting the line is busy. Solution is either use modem in pppoemode or use bridge mode.