Thread: What is Gacutil.exe?

What is Gacutil.exe?

I was just browsing through the internet, when I found the name "Gacutil.exe". I have heard this name for the first time and hence dont know what is this Gacutil.exe? Is it a safe file or some kind of a virus? If it is not a virus, can I view it on my system? If anyone has any information about it, kindly reply....

Re: What is Gacutil.exe?

Heyy gacutil.exe is not a virus. It is infact a Microsoft .NET Assembly Cache Utility and is a part of the Microsoft .NET Framework. Microsoft is developer of this file and it is a system file which is hidden. It is present in the sub folder of %SYSTEM% and has a general size of 81,920 bytes. It is strongly recommended that you do not delete this file as many of the programs need this file to work properly.

Microsoft has created the .NET Framework, which is a platform for software development which focuses on independence of platform, transparency of networks and RAD(Rapid Application Development). The name, Gacutil.exe seems as a virus, trojan or spyware, but it is not. It is generally seen in the BIN directory with a date of creation as April 8, 2005. The version gacutil.exe 2.0.44 has the size of 94,720. It is related to Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Global Assembly Cache Utility and is an executable software for working of most of the programs.

Gacutil.exe is a hidden system file and it used to be at the location:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9\SDK\v3.5\Bin\Gacutil.exe.
    Due to some changes in the SDKs of the new operating systems, the new location where you can find this particular file is:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\gacutil.exe
    Please not that it is not any kind of infection that has affected the system.