Thread: Difference between wap and wep

Difference between wap and wep

Does any one know the difference between wap and wep? I am running windows xp on my all the computers which are connected in wireless network. I know both the term belongs to wireless security but i want to know the exact difference between this two method.

Re: Difference between wap and wep

WEP or Wired Equivalent Privacy is the standard 802.11's initial hardware security form where both WAP and the specific users are actually configured with a special encryption key, Wired Equivalency Protocol (WEP) is a deprecated algorithm to secure IEEE 802.11 wireless networks. WEP uses the stream cipher RC4 for confidentiality, and the CRC-32 checksum for integrity.

WEP presents a major security flaw in that the key that is used remains static. This means that provided sufficient time and the proper tools a hacker could eventually crack the encryption key. Wireless Application Protocol (commonly referred to as WAP) is an open international standard for application-layer network communications in a wireless-communication environment. Most use of WAP involves accessing the mobile web from a mobile phone or from a PDA.

Short for the Wireless Application Protocol, a secure specification that allows users to access information instantly via handheld wireless devices such as mobile phones, pagers. WEP was the encryption scheme included with the first generation of wireless networking equipment. WPA uses Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP). TKIP is designed to allow WEP to be upgraded.