Thread: Help on Configuring SpamAssassin

Help on Configuring SpamAssassin

With the help of Google, I set up a gateway between the firewall and Exchange Server 2003 because of IMF Exchange begins to go mad. It is a Debian Postfix / Mailscanner / ClamAV / Postgrey / SpamAssassin / Squid / squidGuard / Webmin. I'm not a Linux expert, but I'm curious, what brought me so far.

Carefully scrutinized in the file / var / log / mail.log I found that everything worked except the SpamAssassin, which, despite my persistence is not yet at its head.

For weeks I am trying to understand the system of Rules of SpamAssassin, which I update via SARE (sa-update), I tried Rules-of-day, I tried to make basic personal rules ( recognition of a word .... I'm not going to fall far ...), the "required hits" in 3 instead of 6, the language of force "en-US", but nothing to do, SpamAssassin is not at its head.

I isolated the same mails from our users, some "Ham" and other "spam", I gradually fed to "sa-learn", but he always seems so stupid .... there must be a factor that I did not understand.

In terms of updates, what is the best, sa-update or rules-of-days ?
    I noticed that prefs of spamassassin snuff into account are in MailScanner.conf, but the rules are in Local.cf (The rules are all the file / etc / spamassassin / *. cf of SARE)

I want if possible, you tell me what's wrong in my config, which could be improved.

(main.cf / master.cf / Mailscanner.conf / local.cf) and the output of "/ var / log / mail.log " and " spamassassin - lint-D " is attached

Re: Help on Configuring SpamAssassin

SpamAssassin is configured using traditional UNIX-style configuration files, loaded from the /usr/share/spamassassin and /etc/mail/spamassassin directories.

The # character starts a comment, which continues until end of line. NOTE: if the # character is to be used as part of a rule or configuration option, it must be escaped with a backslash. i.e.: \#

Whitespace in the files is not significant, but please note that starting a line with whitespace is deprecated, as we reserve its use for multi-line rule definitions, at some point in the future.

Currently, each rule or configuration setting must fit on one-line; multi-line settings are not supported yet.

File and directory paths can use ~ to refer to the user's home directory, but no other shell-style path extensions such as globing or ~user/ are supported.

Make an image of the current system. For me, one advantage of CConnection is also the presence of a web interface that allows me to delegate without risk to any person at the customer update list of white and black. It is therefore also an organizational aspect in the operation which motivates my choice.

As indicated in the links I have nevertheless made many changes, similar to yours in main.cf for Postfix to do an initial screening and reject the obvious spam. Spamassassin is written in pearl, and each call is expensive in system resources.

I also changed the reporting and classification of spam that is done at two levels. The mail "moderately impaired" are distributed to end users in its spam. Those rated> 10 or 15 are sent to a common box for 3 or 4 days for tracking only.

Use Clarkconnect. ClarkConnect is a powerful and affordable Internet server and gateway solution. The software solution will give your organization enterprise-level server features at an affordable price.

It features:
    • Provides core server applications: mail, web, VPN, backup, file and print services...
    • Protects network and data: antivirus, antispam, firewall, intrusion prevention...
    • Enforces Internet usage policies: content filter, peer-to-peer filter, bandwidth manager...
    • Simplifies management and monitoring: system monitoring, software updates, mail backup..

So you advise me Clarkconnect but at Spamassassin it is already configured?

I have also tried Clarkconnect once. This distribution is indeed excellent, light and very complete, I am not disappointed. And actually the default configuration of SpamAssassin does not work too badly, but I'd like to make smarter.

I liked using Dspam coupled with SpamAssassin, but from what I read this is not possible for an SMTP Gateway (Only for the mail server). The question is, how to tell SpamAssassin what are the good mails on bad SMTP gateway installation?

How shall you make SpamAssassin more intelligent?