Thread: what is my subnet mask

what is my subnet mask

Hi,

I need the figures to set my internet up for wireless. How do I find my DNS (name server) address? And what is my subnet mask ??

Re: what is my subnet mask

A mask used to determine what subnet an IP address belongs a. An IP address has two components, the network address and host address. For example, consider the IP address 150,215,017,009. Assuming that this is part of a class B network, the first two numbers (150,215) represent the direction of class B network, and the second two numbers (017,009) identifies a particular host on this network. subnet mask enables the network administrator to further divide the host part of the direction in two or more subnets. In this case, part of the address of the machine is reserved for particular subnet.

If you want to check your subnet mask in Windows Xp, go to Start> Run> and type cmd to open a command prompt. Then type ipconfig and your subnet mask is displayed. If you are running Linux or a Mac, open a terminal window and type the command: ifconfig-a to show your network configuration. On a Mac, this information can also be found in the configuration of the network device in the System Preferences panel.

If you're afraid of the command window as a graphical view of Nice, then try another way. With this method you can also make modifications. Enter the Control Panel (found in Settings on the Start menu), select Network Connections, click the local area or dowuble Internet> Dial-up connections. Finding TCP / IP line in the bottom of the options and click the Properties button. Note that you may also have a wireless link icon in the Control Panel as well - this may have some configuration that is looking for. This depends on the hardware and the version of Windows you have installed.