Thread: What is the Difference Between A Static IP Address And A Dynamic IP Address?

What is the Difference Between A Static IP Address And A Dynamic IP Address?

Hi,

I'm looking into upgrading my internet service at my office. I currently on a basic 512 kpbs aDSL but its very slow. I am looking for some high bandwith. One of my friend told me to use a static IP. But I don't know much about it, can you tell me what's the difference between a Static Address And a Dynamic IP Address? I'm confused !!

Re: What is the Difference Between A Static IP Address And A Dynamic IP Address?

A static IP address is one that will never change. A dynamic IP address is just that, dynamic. It could change frequently, or no change over 1 year. It really depends on how the DHCP server assigns IP addresses configured. If you have a dedicated Internet connection, and never goes off, you could have a static IP address. This number will be assigned to you by an Internet service provider and would never change.

Re: What is the Difference Between A Static IP Address And A Dynamic IP Address?

Most computers use dynamic IP addresses, ie IP address is shared across multiple websites. If you try to type your IP address then you do not go to his website. Having a static IP address has several advantages (among them is the ability to test your site using the IP address vs. domain name), but some of the benefits actually not sure.

Stick to an same IP address which is unchanged for months or years at a time. This is a static IP address. Set to an IP which is only good for a limited time, and that changes according to the policy established by the ISP's DHCP server. This is a dynamic IP address. Because a static IP address can be relied on for an indefinite period, some networking software requires a static IP address. ISPs usually charge extra for static IPs. Your ISP may not be willing to give their customers static IP addresses at all. Dynamic IPs are used in large networks where computers are frequently reconfigured, or where a limited number of IP addresses are available for sharing between multiple computers.

The advantage of having a Static IP Address is that if you want to use CU-SeeMe or use a VoIP application to make long distance calls using IP connections. In that case, you need a static IP address. The user has two options, please contact your ISP and request a static IP address, or can use a dynamic DNS service. Either option likely will make an additional monthly fee.