Thread: Modem Error : The port is already open

Modem Error : The port is already open

Hi,

We use a few programs at work which rely on the comm1 port but after starting the PC the port is already open. I have removed and re-installed the modem which is on Com 2 but when doing a system diagnostic check I receive the error message "Port already open". I have went into msconfig and made sure no programs were starting at startup. I restart and still i get this message. Thanks in advance for any info.

Re: Modem Error : The port is already open

If your getting error message,"The port is already open". The solution is that you need to terminate the other task, or to disable auto-answer features in its software. Sometimes, Windows gets confused, and only solution remains is rebooting your pc. You can regain access to the port by terminating the rnaapp Task: Press CONTROL, ALT & DELETE - this will bring up the Windows Task Bar Close Program box. Look for the Rnaapp task, select it, and then click End Task.

To resolve this Modem Error:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Accessibility Options.
    2. On the General tab, either:
    * Click to clear the Support SerialKey devices check box, or
    * Click Settings, click a different COM port in the Serial port box, and then click OK.
    3. Click OK.

If it's open ports PnP modem ''in Device Manager. "It is because the PnP modems, needs to create a virtual port that is not shown as a hardware port. In this case, go into your CMOS / BIOS Setup and disable com1. This will enable the port to be used as a virtual port. If there is already Disabled, renable it. Sometimes a modem will not work in a hardware port disabled. Returning to allow you to force the operating system to install on a different COM port. If non-PnP change jumpers a hardware port that is not already in use. After doing any of the foregoing may have to remove the modem in Device Manager and then click Refresh or restart the PC to allow the OS to make changes ..