Thread: Iptables block ip address

Iptables block ip address

What are the command to block block ip address from Iptables. What I need to do is, to block access from some ip addresses in my network. Is there any command from router to block ip address. Do i need to configure router in access list mode to block ip address. Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Iptables block ip address

You can specify IP ranges and networks with iptables to block ip address. For example:
    Code:
    # iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.10.0/24 -j DROP
    It would block all IP addresses from 192.168.10.0 to 192.168.10.255 (a Class C subnet). You can find what IP block an IP is contained within by using the WHOIS lookup at ARIN.

IP addresses can be blocked by administrators in the same way as registered users are. IP blocks can be more powerful and effective, but also have additional ramifications. Block IP Address will allow you to prevent security audit from scanning your IP address.
    Code:
    iptables -I INPUT -s 24.56.56.56 -j DROP
    This command will simply drop any packet coming from the address 24.56.56.56.

Administrators can block ranges of IP addresses, if you would like to prevent an individual or a group of individuals on a certain IP range from accessing your site, you can selectively deny access to them. iptables block ip when you use the following command
    Code:
     <Limit GET HEAD POST>
        order allow,deny
        deny from 19.53.4.6
        deny from 19.133.153
        deny from 25.2
        allow from all
        </LIMIT>

charles54 Guest

1. Introduction

Intrusion detection and incident response are the key components in securing assets for any organization. What actually is an Intrusion? How to detect intrusion? And how to response on the intrusion are our key areas for this article.

In order to detect intrusions you must be aware of the normal behavior of your network infrastructure so that any abnormal behavior can be seen easily like a drop of blue ink in a glass of water and you have to cure that intrusion else it will vanished. There are many systems and scenarios by which you can detect intrusions in your network infrastructure.
    Intrusion Detection System (IDS) can detect intrusions for a single host or for a complete subnet in a switched environment; deployment of IDS depends on the design of your network infrastructure. To make this article applicable let me explain you how IDS works in a switched environment.