Thread: XP to XP slow data transfer

XP to XP slow data transfer

I have two XP sp3 machines in my network. Data transfer between them caps at 1 MB/s. This is very odd since both machines have tested at speedtest.net at 15M down and 1M up. Why is my network transfer so slow? What can i try.

A little about my network. All cable is new cat 5. There are 10/100 NIC in each machine set to 100 Full Duplex. I have tried setting the NIC to "Auto Negotiate" with no speed increase. Both machines have static IP's assigned. All anti-virus and firewalls are off. Both machines are on the same workgroup and can see each other.

Cable modem connects to a Linksys WRT54GP2 router with built in 10/100 switch.

Machine "A" connects from router through a set of Netgear HDX101 Powerline HD Ethernet Adapters then to the machine. (I have also tried bypassing the Powerlines and transferring the data over WIFI. I only get up to 1.5 MB/s transfer speed. My WIFI says im getting 54 MB/s. I was hopping to see near 25 at least.)

Machine "B" connects directly to the router via cat 5.

I also have a MacBook on network too. It's wifi also suffers from the same transfer rate. If the xp-xp fix doesn't also fix the MacBook i will open a new post about it.

I do not have enough cable for the distance im making up with the powerlines.

Cesar

Re: XP to XP slow data transfer

Are the Link Speed & duplex setting for the network cards set up correctly? This issue is due to a high rate of early collisions on the network. If you are having problems transfering files over a mapped drive but not to shares directly it is often a sign of SMB Signing.

Re: XP to XP slow data transfer

The more devices you connect between the computer the more loss of speed will be experienced. also 100M means 100 Megabits which is 100/8 Megabytes. Also the length of the cable [distance between the computers in terms of cable streched between them] makes the network speed slow. The max distance a Cat5 cable can stretch is 100 meters. The more the distance the slower the speed...