Thread: Problem while running CWshredder on Windows Xp

Problem while running CWshredder on Windows Xp

I'm been running Windows Xp as my operating system. I just downloaded Spybot S&D and ran it. Sure enough there were some entries found and dealt with by Spybot. The only entry it couldn't delete was a Cool Web program. I have been trying to download CWshredder but I keep getting the following error message when trying to install it: "a required .DLL file MSVBVM60.dll was not found". So, can any body tell me that why i'm having problem while running CWshredder on Windows Xp? Does any body knows about it? Please help me to resolve the above issue.

Re: Problem while running CWshredder on Windows Xp

Your experience with CWShredder is not unusual (check Computing.net archives). If you have a firewall or not running a server, then you are not reflecting the attacks. Being infected and taking part in the spread should be detectable as outbound traffic when you are not doing anything. A certain percentage of users have experienced corruptions of their operating systems after using CWShredder.

A large ISP could protect a Server-Only Farm from this type of attack by blocking all inbound SYN/ACK packets directed the the IP address range of the Farm. You need the Visual Basic 6 runtime libraries to run any of my programs. Most systems already have this, but should you get an error about MSVBVM60.DLL missing, get the libraries from Microsoft website. How well it would work in practice and how much equipment it would take to filter all traffic would be an issue.

Be sure that your host files were not altered. A user discovered the same before. Download current updates for AdAware and configure AdAware with these custom settings: Click on Start--> custom scanning options--> Customize. Host file was altered that is why CWShredder is finding CW variant.