Thread: Error 633 : the modem or other connecting device is already in use

Error 633 : the modem or other connecting device is already in use

I have WinXP pro and when I try to use my backup dial-up connection. When I want to dial with a dial-up modem, the following error message appears: Error 633: The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or not configured properly. After this this error appeared, there is no process that I can detect that is using the modem port. I have removed the sound card and still the problem exists when I want to dial into the ISP.

Re: Error 633 : the modem or other connecting device is already in use

First make sure that you don't have other applications that are using the modem. This issue may occur if the TCP port that is used by the VPN connection is already being used by another program. Applications that can use the modem include fax software, terminal software (like HyperTerminal), as well as voice software including software that can make your modem an answering machine or speakerphone.

To see whether modem or other devices are in use or the applications that are currently running, press CTRL+ALT+DEL, this will display the Taskbar and you will come to know which programs are actually running with their names - it may be difficult to pinpoint which, if any, programs are accessing the modem. The only way is to terminate the tasks. However, if you terminate certain tasks, your system may crash or become unstable.

Try Uninstall and reinstall the modem drivers, to do this, Start the computer in Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key repeatedly when you see the blue screen. The Windows Advanced Option menu is displayed. Select Safe Mode and press Enter. Then Right-click on my computer. Click on device manager. Right-click the modem name and select Uninstall . Click OK to confirm the uninstall. Then restart your pc. Open the list of modems and reinstall the modem.

The VPN connection uses TCP port 1723 for establishing a connection. If another program already uses this port, you can establish a VPN connection. If you use Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft can not guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. To edit your registry, see here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885959