Thread: Error "Application failed to start" by AVG on Windows XP

Error "Application failed to start" by AVG on Windows XP

I have bought the latest AVG Anti Virus last week. I am a Windows XP user and not having enough of computer Anti virus. Last week I tried to install the AVG by myself. After installation it generates an error message which is somewhat like "Application Failed to Start". So I removed the AVG. yesterday I tried to install it again and I am getting the same error message. I tried it twice. The AVG does not starts at all. Why is it giving me this error message? What should I do ?

Re: Error "Application failed to start" by AVG on Windows XP

I too was having this error. I am using Windows XP on Dell Desktop. When I installed the latest AVG anti-virus 9.0 on my desktop, I was also thrown a back by this "Application Failed to start" message. I had legally purchased the anti virus but yet I was facing this message. But then I was told it was due to some files been missing or corrupted. These files were the Microsoft's redistributable files. You need to have Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2005 files.

This can be caused due to some missing or broken or corrupted Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2005 files.

Follow the following steps:
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
    Locate Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2005 an uninstall it.
    Reboot your machine. Now download the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2005 files. After the download is done, run AVG.

The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable includes runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries. AVG requires these files to run. If these are not present or not up-to-date then AVG gives the "Application Cannot Start" message when you you install AVG. If even after having the required files you are still getting the same error then the Windows Installer could be corrupted. Contact your computer vendor to fix this problem.