Thread: Laptop is out of wifi range

Laptop is out of wifi range

I have a question. I have a router, four ethernet cables are connected to computers in different rooms. There is no more space where the router can take more ethernet cable, so i bought a laptop which has wifi connectivity. But the router is in the basement and i cannot receive its signal in the living room as the Laptop is out of wifi range. Well my question is how do i boost the router's or my laptop's wifi signal? Please help...

Re: Laptop is out of wifi range

You should have a look at these topics :
    How can i extend wifi range for my laptop
    Improving WiFi Range
    Long range Wifi network
    I loose wifi signal frequently
    wifi tin can antenna
    If these topics doesn't help you or you have a different kind of problem do post back...

You can buy a wireless AccessPoint. An accesspoint is a wifi router like device which acts as a wifi hub. It receives the signal from the wifi router, amplifies it and broadcasts it further. Access points are generally used in a public wifi zone where a large area is marked as wifi zone and large number of people are connected for example a shopping complex. These device look similar to router and generally have two antennas. I hope this works!

Ok, if you are a bit techie and won't mind working on your router for some while using a screw drivers, here is a tip. Remove the Wifi Antenna from the router and check if there is a socket kind of attachment. If you can find a similar plug which can fit in the plug, that would be great. OR you can do this, Get a low resistance wire and connect it to antenna socket on the router. Now this wire needs to be long enough. Keep scretching it towards the other room untill you get a good reception. If this works, you can use this trick...

Access Points are way too costly then the wifi routers. You can do this : Buy a new wifi router, disable DHCP from the new router and connect it in a bridge mode via wifi. Check till what distance does the wifi router keeps connected. Then this way you can adjust the distance between the two wifi routers an between the new router and the laptop. This will work fine. Hope this helps...

Can i do this? I have an existing Wifi router, I am thinking of buying a switch, I will keep this switch in the basement instead of the router and connect the computer through the switch. Then i will use this router in the living room so use a ethernet cable to connect the switch and the router. I will be doing the cabling as concealed. Will this work? Thanks for all your help...