Thread: How to test for packet loss on a broadband connection

How to test for packet loss on a broadband connection

I'm using broadband connection in order to access internet from my pc. Now the problem is that while accessing internet on my pc, it packets get loss in between. So, i would like to know that how can i measure my broadband connection for packet loss by using ping and trace route? Are there any good free websites that can help test for packet loss on the Internet? Any idea on the above issue? Kindly let me know the correct solution for the above issue. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to test for packet loss on a broadband connection

I think you can try out dslreports.com. not sure how extensive their tests are now, but I used to speed test there a while back. If you are HAVING TROUBLE with your broadband connection, and it relates to packet loss, excessive latency, or internet or ISP congestion, this test may help find the cause.

Ping isn't extremely user friendly. Find out your default gateway by going to start-->run-->winipcfg (ipconfig for XP/2000/NT) and selecting your network card in the dropdown box. Just do a ping -t -l 1024 site

-t means ping forever, -l 1024 does 1K packets (more like real traffic). You can hit CTRL-BREAK in the middle to get a report of current packet loss, CTRL-C to end the ping and post results.

Power off the router/modem unit and relocate it a few feet away from ALL other electrical devices. Or higher than normal signal strength? You want as high of speeds as you can, but you dont want your signal too high. Also, make sure there are no coiled up signal or power cables. If you have another NIC try that too.

However, when I try manual pings even with a 100 pings I mostly get 0 packet loss excpet for one time the BBC site gave me 3% packjet loss. If you have a router, the above process will only give you your router IP, instead you will need to go into your router configuration page and find your default gateway there. However after using numerous other download speed testers giving much better and consistent speed results.