Thread: Using a NAS server

Using a NAS server

I have a LaCie 2Big NAS disk that become useless as I would like to access from the outside of my little network. I have a Netgear router box behind my cable operator's modem. I guess it just open a port and to know his address, but as I am really not good for the network connection, I need a special explanation. How to connect and use NAS server?

Re: Using a NAS server

How do you want to access exactly with NAS, via a web browser or FTP?

Because in either of the situation, as you say, it must be a port forwarding on the router to the address of the Lacie and the port is going well. The question is whether you want to redirect port 80 (web) or 20 and 21 (for FTP).

Relevant question, but coming to think of the disc that would be accessible from everywhere. So HTML would be great. To be precise: I do not know what address to enter to access the NAS and how to open port 80 (on the router I guess). But it also raises the issue of data protection, how to be alone to access them?

For data protection, you should see at the NAS so you can access it or add a HTTPS certificate. I had looked to do on my Nas Synology, but then I do not know if there is the same for the Lacie. Is this you can add modules/programs on the Lacie?

Already if I can access is a first step, after I would see to secure it!

Question 1: What is the address of my NAS from outside?
    Question 2: If I open ports on the router, it opens to all machines in the network? (any two)

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony60 View Post
    Already if I can access is a first step, after I would see to secure it!

Question 1: What is the address of my NAS from outside?
    From the outside, the address of your NAS is the IP address of your modem. But make sure because maybe your IP is renewed after every 24 hours (depends on your connection):
    • Daily check new address
    • Create what is called a dyndns (or no-ip) that actually allows you to create an address like "my-nas.dyndns.org" which will be updated automatically (you should have it as an option in the Netgear router I guess) with the IP address of your modem.

The local IP address of your NAS is never accessible from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony60 View Post
    Question 2: If I open ports on the router, it opens to all machines in the network? (any two)
    No, because if you open ports, what you will be going to do is port forwarding. For example, you'll add a NAT rule that says:
    Port 80 is happening on the entry "Internet" (in fact it is the WAN input, ie the connection to the cable modem) is back on port 80 to this local IP address.

In this case, when you type the IP address of your cable modem in your web browser, the request will go to your Nas and you should have access.

Knowing that you can very well make a rule a little less "dangerous" as:
    The port 12,340 is happening on the internet entry is returned to the port 80, Nas.

In this case the address to type into the browser will be IP_cable http://@:12340

It avoids being too open to scans on port 80.

It will have you forever?