Thread: Problem of configuration or accessing network PC

Problem of configuration or accessing network PC

I'm facing problems in creating a network between 2 PC. I already went for a Google search for a solution but in vain.

The PING function in 2 way, 2 PC's are seen in My Network Places, a disk drive is shared on each PC but each 2 PC can not access the other! I tried without firewall (ZoneAlarm) or Antivirus (Avast) but without success.

=> It works if I put 0 for the value of restrictanonymous (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\lsa\restrictanonymous) but it seems that this is not a good idea since then I allow anonymous access.

Some details:

1. Windows XP Pro SP3 + ZoneAlarm Pro + Avast Home on 2 PC (XP firewall off);

2. Modem-router Linksys WRT54G

3. IP addresses and DNS servers are on automatic on the 2 pc (if I encode them manually, I have no Internet access);

4. Configuration for 2 pc network was done via "create a home network or small office network". Responses on each of 2 pc:

- Yes, use the shared connection for Internet access that computer.

- Computer name encoded.

- Name of the working group = MSHOME

- Enable file sharing and printer.

- Finish the wizard.

5. when I see "computers working group", I have 2 but I can not enter another => \\ ****** not available. You do not perhaps have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access denied.

6. Here are the results of ipconfig on each of 2 pc:

- PC 1: IP Address = 192.168.1.2 / Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0 / Default Gateway = 192.168.1.1

- PC 2: IP address = 192.168.1.3 / Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0 / Default Gateway = 192.168.1.1

7. And when I ping:

- PC 1: ping 192.168.1.3 => 4 received

- PC 2: Ping 192.168.1.2 => 4 received

Someone would have it the solution?

Re: Problem of configuration or accessing network PC

Simple yet: on each of two PCs, you must create the account with which you log on the other. If you are the administrator of both PCs, well there must be the same password on both PCs. If you're not admin password, its not good (I think it will not work as well)

All accounts are free but some administrator password: 1 account without password on PC 1 and 3 accounts on PC 2 with 2 without password.

I may not understand everything but:

- I put a password to the user account of PC 1 and the same password on user accounts of PC 2 => these 2 open sessions, it does not work.

- I created on the PC 2 the same account with the same password on the PC 1 => these 2 open sessions, it does not work.

Good.

Seriously:
    1) I'm on PC1 with an administrator account
    2) I created a share "sharing"
    3) I have an account "FOO" on this pc, with password "foo"
    4) I connect to PC2 (PC1 is turned on, eh, no joke) with FOO account, password "foo"
    5) I connect to my D drive: the share \\PC1\share

That it works. You can also connect the network drive by clicking on "Connect using a different user name" and enter "FOO" and "foo" in the boxes. That's if you log on PC2 with an account/password on PC1 unknown.

For all this work requires that both PCs are Identifiable on same workgroup in the same ip range on the same LAN.

You must tell Windows to let the sharing files and printers within the firewall if you use it. If you use other firewalls, it will configure them to allow this traffic to pass.

Sorry but it does not work ...

1) Yes!

2) There is a shared folder (share) on a partition of PC 1.

3) Account with a capital and a focus + password.

4) Logged on user account on the same PC 1 with same password (there are 2 other user accounts but not opened for testing).

5) Now I'm confused. In My Network that? On the PC 1, I enter the same Pc 1 and I connect a network drive, right? Then I see in My Computer.

That it works. You can also connect the network drive by clicking on "Connect using a different user name" and enter "FOO" and "foo" in the boxes. That's if you log on PC2 with an account/password on PC1 unknown.
    I go to the PC 2 and try to come back on the PC 1 (I see) => access denied.

I was interested but we will first try that it works with the same account and same password!

For all this work requires that both PCs are Identifiable on same workgroup in the same ip range on the same LAN.
    If the Ping function is that it's all ok, right? And then everything works if I allow anonymous access (0 for restrictanonymous).

You must tell Windows to let the sharing files and printers within the firewall if you use it. If you use other firewalls, it will configure them to allow this traffic to pass.
    I checked in the network wizard that I made about 2 pc, so I assume it's good.

Again, if the ping function is that it's ok right? Anyway, it does not work if I disable ZoneAlarm and Avast.

Good once again.

If I activate the guest account and that sharing works, it eliminates a lot of things at the network level. Looks like we have a concern there, because I understand that this was not the case.
    ==> One thing: the ping, if it works, it just means that the machines are, and nothing more. It does not say if there are restrictions other parameters, including firewalls.

One thing that scares me: what does it mean: "if I allow anonymous access (0 for restrictanonymous)." Your settings where it?

3rd thing: you have ZA and Avast. Good. Belt and suspenders. If you are behind a router, you can already identify ZA. We have seen similar problems to yours due to an installation of ZA, which was disabled. Only uninstalling solved the problem (it leaves locks everywhere, even off).

If you fear uninstall it after disconnecting Net access your router: nothing from outside can not reach you (unless your PC is already infected, but it will not worsen the situation) .

When I create a share on PC1 FOO account is administrator and I have an account FOO on PC2, with the same password that accesses the shared resource of PC1, it must really work.

"Network Drive", it is on PC2 to associate a virtual drive X: to a share "sharing" was defined on PC1. We do not connect a network drive is shared on the same PC, it makes no sense (and I'm not sure it works elsewhere).

I take a simple example:
    "FOO" has the password "foo" on PC1 and PC2, and is a director on both.
    FOO sharing creates "shared" on PC1.
    I log in FOO on PC2, I go into network neighborhood, I see PC1, and I have to double-click it to see its shares. I see "sharing", and I am able to open and view files inside.

If it works, it only remains to connect a network drive then, just to continue doing so on the configuration, or create a shortcut on the desktop, which is all the same.