Thread: Is it possible to print in a remote location without a computer?

Is it possible to print in a remote location without a computer?

Hi friends, need some urgent solution. Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to take a print being in a remote location?
    The problem is not just the remote location but also there is no computer available at the place where I am present. And now I urgently need to take some print outs within a day. So anyone who knows how to take prints in a remote location where there is no computers available?

Re: Is it possible to print in a remote location without a computer?

Sorry for the negative reply my friend but I don’t think it’s possible to get a print without a computer that too being in a remote location. As everyone knows that there has to be at least one computer or laptop connected to the printer to make the desire task successful.
    It’s almost next to impossible, printers are just an output device which can only get you the end result but to make that thing happen we need a machine to take the input and process the work and this activity is done by a computer, printers are connected to pc. It’s like you are try to get an output without an input and processing.

Everyone knows that taking printouts without computer is no possible. But I think you forget the concept of networking. Everything is possible through networking, and I am sure the post was meant to get a solution using networking only.
    Definitely you need a LAN or a WAN connection to get connected to the printer of the remote location. Anyway I don’t have deep knowledge about networking concepts but I can say that there is no such thing that can connect your printer to the LAN. At least I have never heard about such thing anywhere.

It’s impossible. You need a PC located anywhere at any place to get connected to the printer, this connection can be made easily between them using a LAN connection or a WAN connection. The connection can be wired or wireless depends on you. It’s very much easy to connect the LAN or WAN to the computer but what about the print’s connection. As said in the above post it may be difficult to connect the printer to the LAN or WAN but not impossible.
    You can get a Bluetooth for the connection, but remember the Bluetooth should be in such a range that it should be able to connect the printer.

If the discussion is regarding the LAN network i.e. Local Area Network then I would say that you only have remembered that the printer should be network capable (Ethernet port). And most probably the same thing is essential for the internet connection. The connection that provides the IP of the printer can help you to make visible through the router and firewall. Better you take help of some networking expert personally.

Maybe it’s like setting up an IP Camera. I think there is a router & a network printer at the remote site, the idea would work more smoothly if the WAN or a LAN IP is static and not dynamic and also if you have DynDNS setup in your router.
    Once I recognized that DynDNS was running in my system but I never came to know just because the router I was using didn’t have that function. But once if you have that function then whenever the IP address will change, the DynDNS program will send you the update. You just have to remember the name and not the actual IP address.

Now days there are printers that have memory card slots and I think they have a built in screen too. You can easily get the data from the computer which is to be printed in a memory card then you can insert he memory card in the card slot present in the printer. And then using the built in screen you can view and decide which printout are to be taken. It’s so simple and sweet.

Simply setup a network printer along with a port which can forward on the remote router. Then you need a computer for the initial setup, you need the computer just for the setup, once done with the setup you can take away the computer. As all the network PC have an IP address the same way the network printer will also have a static LAN IP address. Everything is ready but remembers to install printer driver in the entire computer you will be using to print.

I would like to comment on the post where one of the friends denied the possibility of printer being connected directly to the network. I have two printers at home, laser and multifunction inkjet printer and both are equipped with an Ethernet port. In fact they both are connected to my home network using a switch and they have been never connected using a physical cable or any computer in my house.
    You must have known this information, as this type of connection is very much common in commercial or business environments especially in offices.

Definitely, if a printer is in a network then it is possible to connect it with the LAN with a static IP where as the other system use Add Printer > network option to find it.
    To do a print sharing on the internet from some other system through a firewall can prove to be dangerous with a simple reason that print sharing is only run on the same port as a file sharing where the system are exposed.
    The best way to do it in a secure manner is through a DMZ system with the shared printer. This tells us that the system is purposely exposed and you are supposed to reinstall due to the exposure.