Thread: Network and dial-up connections icons missing from Windows server 2003

Network and dial-up connections icons missing from Windows server 2003

Hi, basically i am a windows Vista user but i use to work on Windows sever 2003 in my office. Now, due to some unknown reason, the network and dial-up connections icons disappeared from the Windows server computer. I reied to find it out but am unable for the same. Do you guys have any idea what might be the cause for the same and how can i get these icons back to my system ?

Re: Network and dial-up connections icons missing from Windows server 2003

There can be several symptoms for missing network and dial-up connections icons. It is difficult to say what is causing your particular problem until you examine it a bit. First of all verify that all Windows Protected Files in the System 32 folder are intact.

System File Checker enables an administrator to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) or from the Windows installation source files, and then it replaces the incorrect file. System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

To run System File Checker, open a command prompt, type sfc /purgecache, and then press ENTER. The Window File Checker starts.

If you have an out-of-date driver installed, it may not be compatible with the latest Windows Service Pack. You can correct this incompatibility by checking to see if a driver update is available. To check to see if a new network adapter driver is available, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
    2. Click Custom Install, and then click Select optional hardware update.
    3. Look for the network adapter name, and then install any available hardware updates. If you do not find the driver listed, you may want to check the manufacturer's Web site for more information.
    4. Restart the computer if you were prompted to install hardware updates.

If only the Dial-up Connection icons are missing, temporarily add a new modem. Try adding a standard modem. Often, just the process of adding a new modem causes the connection icons to reappear. To add a standard modem, complete these steps:

• Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    • If it is not already selected, click Switch to Classic View. This option appears on the left side of Control Panel.
    • Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
    • Click Modems, and then click Add. The Add Hardware Wizard starts.
    • Click to select the Don't detect my modem I will select it from a list check box, and then click Next.
    • Select a standard modem from the list on the left, and then click Next. When the icons reappear, you can safely delete the modem that you added in this procedure.