Thread: Is inst.exe a windows process

Is inst.exe a windows process

Hi,
    I had just installed Combo fix and found a files inst.exe. I need some information on the same. Does it is a Windows file. If yes then why combo fix is detecting the same as a threat. If it is a virus then how to remove the same. I tried running the scan back and this didn't help much. What type of virus file this is.

Re: Is inst.exe a windows process

It is a type of a trojan virus. You must run a full system scan under safe mode to remove this files. The virus is threat to windows. The virus is present in the form of inst.exe in Windows directory. You can delete it manually. If this gives you error then delete the same in safe mode. You can access safe mode by pressing F8 on booting.

Here is the list of files which is created by the virus. You can delete them manually. They mostly lies in the Windows directory. The files name is inst.exe in all the folders. They can be Program files or temporary folder. Better press Ctrl + F in My Computer and delete all the files listed by Windows.

This application does not belongs to windows. It is a malicious application. It lies in Windows directory. Mostly in System 32. The files size of this is around 20KB. The virus manipulates windows registry files and create auto launch errors. So it is recommended that you must run a registry scanner to clear the entries created by the virus.