Thread: w32.virut.u virus removal method

w32.virut.u virus removal method

I have installed Windows xp and my pc was recently infected by some virus called w32.virut.u. This was detected by the Symantec Antivirus and it seems that it cannot remove it. I have tried going into the folder where that virus is placed and also tried to delete it but that doesnt work. So can anyone tell me without reformatting my drive again, how can i remove w32.virut.u virus? Thanks for your time.

Re: w32.virut.u virus removal method

Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP)
    If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Update the virus definitions
    Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:

Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions.
    If you use Norton AntiVirus 2006, Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0, or newer products, LiveUpdate definitions are updated daily. These products include newer technology.

If you use Norton AntiVirus 2005, Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9.0, or earlier products, LiveUpdate definitions are updated weekly. The exception is major outbreaks, when definitions are updated more often.

Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted daily. You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them.

More information here: http://www.symantec.com/security_res...727-99&tabid=3

You can also try to run an online scan from here which should clean it out. If you were running antivirus/firewll from a reliable vendor like mcafee or norton this would not have infected you since it already ahs protection for this in its update files... this is why I always recommend reliable software, properly configured, and automatically updating.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

Can you post the report?

-- Download HijackThis on to your desktop.
    - Double-click on HijackThis
    - Generate a report by following these instructions:
    - Run it and click Do a system scan and save log file.
    - The report opens the Notepad
    - Copy the report here.