Thread: XP to Windows 7 Printer sharing

XP to Windows 7 Printer sharing

Everything is setup correctly in my small home lan, but the only issue is my windows 7 doesn't finds the printer shared on my windows xp machine, I don't what wrong i'm doing but everything i have done is step by step, i check it on another xp machine and that finds my printer without any issue, then whats wrong with windows 7?

Re: XP to Windows 7 Printer sharing

Refer to following Guide:

Sharing Printer on Windows XP Operating System

And also see the following thread:

printer sharing for windows 7
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

Which printer you are using? Have you downloaded and installed the its compatible windows 7 drivers? I have a HP 7650 printer shared from xp to windows 7 and windows 7 finds it without any error and all. You must be having driver issue, give the name of the printer you are using.

1. Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Network and Sharing Center.
    2. Click the arrow button next to Printer sharing to expand the section, click Turn on printer sharing, and then click Apply. Your printer is now shared on the network. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. If you are using a computer connected to a workgroup, click the arrow button next to Password protected sharing to expand this section, and then check to see if password-protected sharing is turned on or off. If it is turned on, only people with a user account and password for this computer will be able to access your printer. Turn this off if you want anyone on the network to be able to access the printer you are sharing. To change this setting, select the option you prefer, and then click Apply. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Follow these steps to connect to a shared printer over the network. You must know the name of the computer that has the printer attached to it. If you don't know this name, ask someone who uses that computer, or go to the other computer yourself and look it up. For information on how to find this name, see Find your computer name.

1. Click the Start button , and then, in the Search box, type \\ followed by the name of the computer with the shared printer you want to use (for example, \\mylaptop).
    2. Press ENTER.
    3. If Windows can find the computer on the network, a folder will open for the computer. Double-click Printers. If any shared printers are connected to this computer, they will appear here. If you don't see the shared printer you want to use, ask a person who uses that computer if the printer is connected, turned on, and shared with other users on the network.
    4. Double-click the printer. Windows will automatically add the printer to your computer and install the printer driver. When the process is complete, click Next.
    5. The printer should appear in your Printers folder. You can select this printer when you want to print a document or other type of file.