Thread: Cisco router 2600 - can't log in...

Cisco router 2600 - can't log in...

Hello,
    Hope someone can light some shine on my issue here.
    I have a Cisco router 2600 that I assigned user name with privilege 15 and the password to telnet connection and for whatever reason, it won't take the password that i changed it to. It takes the user name, but not the password.
    I was trying to setup to use the SDM and so i follow the instruction to setup to use http server and authenticate locally and setup username and password.
    As soon as I changed the password and i disconnect telnet and connect again and that's when i couldn't login. I had previous password for user level and privilege level and non of those password are working. I tried to see if i can access thru console port but for some reason i can't get hyper terminal to work. It won't respond to enter or any key stokes at all. I know i used the right cable to connect to console port and it works for other router and switch!! I'd appreciated any help from you guys and gals!!

John

Re: Cisco router 2600 - can't log in...

By default, when the OSPF process initializes, it selects the highest IP address on a router as the router ID for the OSPF process. You can setup a failover route but not load balancing with a Cisco 2600 series. To accomplish the failover you would add a secondary route statement. The router ID uniquely identifies a router within an OSPF domain.

Here is an example:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ip of main internet access

Now to add the failover route

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ip of secondary connection 100
    Adding the Metric to the end of the second route statement will only use the route when the first one is not available.

First try to check the connection from router console port. The enable password password can be recovered, but the enable secret password is encrypted and must be replaced with a new password. Check this information for more help : Password Recovery Procedure for the Cisco 2600 and 2800 Series Routers

Thanks for your responds, but the console port is not responding at all.
    I've tried few diff cables, but there is no respond to the keystoke at all.
    This router had password and secret password setup before I added the user with privilege 15 with diff password. After that I just can't login via telnet and wondering if when i setup user name and the password changed something.

Thanks,

John