Thread: DNS Forwarding and Aliases

DNS Forwarding and Aliases

A small question about redirection (forwarding) and aliases (CNAME records type).

If you want to migrate to certain areas on another DNS infrastructure but without losing the old links, you can allow forwards between new and old DNS servers. This way, if the new server does not support the requested domain, it returns the query on the old server using the forward and it is he who knows the answer.

Is it what the alias but then what's the point? Can they be used to migrate the DNS service?

Re: DNS Forwarding and Aliases

An alias is just an another name that you can assign to a machine. You can use, for example, to name a little more focused on service. For example, I declare foo with the address 1.1.1.1. This server is used for both purchasing and human resources. I'm going to create an entry for purchase and human resource. In case of new IP address of the machine, I do not need to edit "purchases" and "human resource" but only foo.

For your migration, I think that it helps you much. You do not change the zone names?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I want to migrate some areas that are on the old DNS server (which is also the master) to a new DNS server (through the creation of a new branch, and this new branch wants its own DNS infrastructure). And actually, we want to take this opportunity to rename some areas.

The problem is that application servers are always the same and are not duplicated yet. To enable the new branch that can continue to have access to apps, there must be a communication between DNS servers of this new entity and the rest.

In my case, it will have to make aliases for not only machines but also areas? And compared to forwards between DNS servers, make alias is it easier or less easy to implement? Is there a preferred method over another?

If I understand correctly, you want to take recordings of your old DNS server on your new infrastructure which also has a new DNS?

In this case, it will indeed be simpler and more natural to put a forwarder to your plot on your new DNS time you migrate your area. The use of CNAME is actually not too useful in this case.