Thread: How to setup a proxy server in windows

How to setup a proxy server in windows

Hi,

I have a windows VPS server with plesk, but I would like to setup a VPN proxy, so that I can use PPTP to connect my computer to the server as a proxy and access the internet. I really hope someone can explain or show me a guide about how to set up a proper proxy server easily or Is there any software ? I have windows xp as my operating system.

Re: How to setup a proxy server in windows

A proxy server is a method of sharing an Internet connection. The 2 main methods are used to share a connection are NAT and Proxy. Nat has the advantage of not having to change much if anything on a client computer. Where as a proxy usually requires that the proxy configuration settings in each program you want to access the Internet.

The main advantage would a proxy is the extra level of security. It allows you to control what users are doing and block sites much easier (if the proxy server package you use supports this).

You have to pay setting a server with Microsoft ISA Server, of course, another alternative is to set up a free Linux distribution like smoothwall and there are many other distributions in linux, so you can try this.

Use the service of our No-IP Free DNS and redirection to assign a static or dynamic IP address or long URL to an easy to remember subdomain yourname.no-ip.com. Use yourname.no-ip.com instead of a hard to remember IP address or URL. Additionally use our dynamic update client to keep track of your dynamic IP address. You will always be able to get to your computer even if you IP address is dynamically assigned.