Thread: network security

question network security

HI everyone!I have a small office network of 210 computers and I am using dhcp server to lease ips automatically to computers by using their mac addresses.The problem is people from outside come with laptops and enter ips manually.This gives conflict with the ip address of server and sometime other computers.Is there anyway I can secure more or stop this thing happening.

Please I need a quick answer

Re: network security

If you use a cisco based router, you can mac bind the computers to their IP. Other computers cannot get a valid IP. But if people enter the IP manually you are bound to get an IP Conflict if the IP is already taken. So stop letting people to bring their Laptops or bind their mac addresses so that they dont have to enter IP manually...

Re: network security

I can never stop people coming from outside and plugging into network.So is there any solution where I can stop people to restrict getting IPS manually.A more specific and solid answer plsss

question managing switches

Thanks for teh reply.I am not making any policy to bring unauthorized computers but in rare cases it's possible.Here is how my network is

I have 260 computer and I have connected all of them to trendnet teg-2248ws switches in my server room.I have 7 switches of the same model and the switches are linked through the giga bit ports.I even have run the websmart switch management utility and it shows the 7 switches with same ip address.192.168.0.1.I even try to add them to the discovery list and it says duplicate ip.I try to access the switch from the web and it says no access to http://192.168.0.1.So is there anyway I can assign a particular mac addresses to a particular port and others cannnot use the same port even with manual ips.