Thread: HP Mini 5101 Wireless Connectivity Problems

Exclamation HP Mini 5101 Wireless Connectivity Problems

Hello Everyone

I recently bought a HP Mini 5101 from Hongkong with a pre-installed Windows XP Home (SP3).

From day one I have been having problems with the wireless connectivity. I have another HP notebook but that one is perfectly alright.

The problem is that this new laptop can either not discover the wireless network or even if it does sometimes, it can not connect. Sometimes it just wakes up absolutely fine and connects immediately at start.

I have an ASUS router at home and Linksys at office. While I am in office, it works great but at home it has these issues. The other devices are absolutely fine except for this new one. I have tried almost all I knew and configured, re-configured etc. But it just does not work. The Ethernet is working fine though.

Could it be an issue with the hardware or driver ? Any solutions to this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

AK

Re: HP Mini 5101 Wireless Connectivity Problems

Well, there are many factors that affect connectivity. But as you have tried some stuffs, try to be in the range of the router. Also try and update the drivers. May be that could solve the problem...

May be there is no communication between your Asus router and the new laptop. You have to check the wireless setting on your new laptop. May be the drivers or any missing updates?

with service pack 3 older driver can be create problem there is possibility that some times xp not able to get older driver so download latest updated driver form internet

Hi Rudra & Champak

I have tried updating the driver. I have even formatted and re-loaded the Windows XP. The situation is still the same. Sometimes it just connects first time and sometimes it just does not. I have been studying all the possible options but none seems to work. Have checked DHCP settings, firewalls etc. Surprisingly same laptop works amazingly well with LINKSYS router. There is not even a single drop the whole day. As a last option, I am going to change the router at home and see the result.
    In the meantime any more suggestions will be very helpful !

Thanks everyone!!!

Hi Xan

That does not work either !!

Thanks for any more suggestions...

AK

Have you tried pinging google.com or something else? Do you receive the ping request? If not then what comes up! What model of ASUS router? How far are you from the router? Could be range problem also. Or some rigid body blocking the signals of wireless connection!

Hello Lemog

I am sure its not the distance problem because even my mobile phone connects at that point. Pinging is fine from other devices but this one just does not connect. There is also no block any where and its pretty open area. Surely to do something with the router mismatch with HP Mini...

Thanks

AK

Hey i have the same problem i try everything i even have been at the HP service center in china. but there was everything working like now.

i have been in 5 wierless places and the have was working the other have i hat the same problem.

The computer is also from honkong and i hade also some problem with 2 GB work space it broke!

so if somebody figures somting out than i would like to now about it.
    Bene

idea Re: HP Mini 5101 Wireless Connectivity Problems

HP Mini 5101

I'm also having the same problem.

Issue : Wireless connection with D-link router problem at home.

Brought to the store, works fine.

Set-up of the router, HP configurations, repair connection, reconfigure router.

Network connection works fine.

Eureka!

I reinstalled Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver and HP mini immediately the wireless connected.

Verify that the power cord is connected and that all the lights of the router and cable/DSL modem are on. There are several connection types to choose from: Static IP, DHCP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, and BigPond. If you are unsure of your connection method, please contact your Internet Service Provider. If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms? If using the PPPoE option, you will need to remove or disable any PPPoE client software on your computers.

Hi
    I found a very effective and simple solution for this problem:

1. Updated the driver.
    2. Installed "Broadcom Wireless Utility".
    3. Carried out "Congestion Analysis" using the "Broadcom Wireless Utility".
    4. Found that channel 6 had a huge congestion and there was a lot of conflict with nearby networks.
    5. Changed my channel to 11 i/o 6

Trust me since that day the wireless has performed extremely well and all my frustration is gone. Now I love my HP Mini. Even the voice is fantastic over wireless and there are no echos, delayed transmissions, cracks in the voice calls.
    Try it you might also be lucky !

Enjoy
    AK