Thread: I have got two domain, I can't ping FQDN, Domain name but not the hostname of the other domain

sad I have got two domain, I can't ping FQDN, Domain name but not the hostname of the other domain

Hi My situation is treaky,

I have two domains, connect to each other through two window router (on server 2008, two of them, one on each domain) and in the middle of the the two domain is a cisco router.

My problem is that i have cconfigured everything and they can't ping all ip address, it can also ping the FQDN of both domain successfully and both domain name but when you try to ping the host name it can't. For example one domain is john.co.nz and the other domain is james.ac.nz.

Domain one's hostname is johnS1 (on a server 2008) and domain two's hostname is jamesS1 (on a server 2008 also). When i am in the server with the hostname johnS1 i can ping jamesS1.james.ac.nz and james.ac.nz but i can't ping jamesS1. Same thing if i'm on the server with the hostname jamesS1 and try to ping hostname johnS1.

Please can any one help me please i've been on these for 3 days and still can't find a solution.

Cheers
    Kaikoa

Re: I have got two domain, I can't ping FQDN, Domain name but not the hostname of the other domain

Try to make sure that your "domain" is in the client's DNS suffix list. You'll also need to ensure that your DNS server has reverse lookup zones as well as forward lookup zones. If you're only using DNS resolution in your network (i.e. no WINS), then the client needs to know how to fully qualify hostnames. Without a DNS suffix defined, it has no way of knowing that "sh-server" and "sh-server.domain" are the same thing, and your DNS server will always assume that "sh-server" is fully qualified. You may want to consider doing DHCP, with your domain controller as the primary dns, and your other dns as your secondary, then in your windows DNS add forwarders to your DNS server's properties.