Thread: Can't view workgroup computers

Can't view workgroup computers

I recently had to wipe my laptop and reinstall Windows XP Pro. I installed all updates. My network will now not function. From my desktop I can not view workgroups. I can ping both computers from each other. Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP is set on both machines. The node type on the laptop is set to peer-peer. The node type on the desktop is unknown.

I have spent the day searching the web and tried various things but nothing seems to work.

Please Help.

Re: Can't view workgroup computers

One thing to check is under wins ensure "enable netbios on tcp/ip in checked" also netbios over tcp/ip has to be enabled and not blocked. netbios broadcasts is how my network places is populated.Once i did that on my work group I was able to see the other computer from either one.

I do have enable netbios over TCP/IP checked. Still can't view workgroup.

Make sure you have all computer with same workgroup name....

For that netbios over tcp/ip has to be enabled and it should not be blocked. You need to follow the below steps mention.

• For that you need to go to your network adapter properties, then have to right click on the Local Area Connection in Network properties and then need to select properties.
    • Afterwards scroll down the list of protocols which you can see in the window for the network adatper, and then double click on tcp/ip.
    • After that click on the advanced button that shows up on the TCP/IP properties page.
    • Afterwards select the "WINS" tab, and check the radio box for "Enable Netbios over TCP/IP". Finally close all windows and your job is done.
    • Close all windows and your good.

Microsoft Networks that comes with Windows. This is buggy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I recommend an outside network program. Is your PC in the same workgroup as all the others? Some software firewalls have an effect even when disabled - you need to try completely uninstalling it and see if that make a difference.also try to Add the Computer and it's IP address to the LMHOSTS file. This is a straight text file that resides in the Windows directory (for Win9x) or the Windows\System32\drivers\etc directory (for Windows2000 or XP) and has the format IP_Address Computer_Name

I can now view my workgroup from both machines, however I can't access either machine from the other. The firewall is turned off, netbios is enabled, the work groups have the same name. On the computer that I hand to reinstall Windows on when I view workgroups I only see that machine. On the other machine when I view workgroups I see both machines but I can't access the other.

Thanks for the help but the problem was that the node type on my other machine was set to peer to peer. Windows has a fix for that. I ran the fix and now everything works great.

Thanks.