Thread: HTTP Error 404.17 The requested content appears to be script

HTTP Error 404.17 The requested content appears to be script

Hi everyone,

Thinks all are doing great.I'm attempting to install application on IIS7. The application on IIS6 works with out any issues.However, on IIS7 it gives me following error: The requested content appears to be script .So my question is of course how to enable script on IIS7, or is there something more to do to make it work?

hopes i will get nice answers soon
    thanks a lot..

Re: HTTP Error 404.17 The requested content appears to be script

The 404.17 error denotes dynamic content mapped to the static file handler. The pre-selected configuration defaults of IIS 7.0 only provide the IIS modules need to support static content.Ensure the ASP.NET role service is installed. You have to refer to the ASP.NET Workload section.

IIS 7 HTTP Error 404.17 The requested content appears to be script."HTTP Error 404.17 -Not Found -The requested content appears to be script and will not be served by the static file handler."To get rid of this kind of error alter you application pool from default to Classic .NET AppPool

Which is the version of your ASP.NET application and Windows Server 2008? If your server is 64 bit and your ASP.NET application is 32 bit, you have to enable "Enable 32-bit Applications" in the "Advanced Settings" of Application Pool.If the simple ASP.NET web application also has such issue,can you attempt to run this %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i for registering .Net Framework script maps on IIS.

Dont get carried away with error messages, sometimes it shows wrong ones.
    Please check the following details.
    1) Your assigned application pool is pointing to the proper .Net version
    2) Your Application pool is running in proper mode( that is Classic or integrated)
    3) Point to loginurl specified in web.config instead of pointing ur URL to other pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    The 404.17 error denotes dynamic content mapped to the static file handler. The pre-selected configuration defaults of IIS 7.0 only provide the IIS modules need to support static content.Ensure the ASP.NET role service is installed. You have to refer to the ASP.NET Workload section.
    The above solution worked for me. Add the ASP.NET Role service through the Windows 2008 Server Manager. Note: Adding the ASP.NET role service will automatically add 3 other roles services and a server restart may be required (although in my case it was not necessary)