Thread: Vista Media Center porting to Server 2008.

Vista Media Center porting to Server 2008.

Hi,

It seems like kind of an obvious project, is anyone trying to port Vista's Media Center app to 2008? I had some interesting results but have gotten little bit freeze on doing this. I found if you use one of the "install Media Center on regular XP" packs on 2008, they perform install, but you get stuck with a "Media center only works on windows xp media center edition" error when attempting to run ehshell.exe. The files that should run on start up perform run, but adding the registry entry for MCE appeared to make no change. Also strangely, if you then replace those files with the ones from Vista... none of them run on start up after doing so, and ehshell from Vista doesn't even bother attempting to open.anyone working on this or have any ideas on getting XP or Vista's Media Center running..?

Re: Vista Media Center porting to Server 2008.

This seems to be related to indefinite registry keys being made during the VmcController installation. The 64-bit MCE is looking for these keys in a different place. Because they aren't found, the controller "listener" never runs.This is a another issue than what was causing our issues with the x64 mControl Client. In fact, there really isn't anything Embedded Automation can do. This is something for the designer of the add-in or some other charitable programmer.

Re: Vista Media Center porting to Server 2008.

Vista's MCE has some licensing code that could be locking it to Vista HP or Ultimate. "Porting" it to WS2008 would take some alternation to those binaries.An simpler method would be to simply find out what services WS2008 disables out of the box compared to Vista, and disable those, since (as of Vista SP1) they are the same operating system.I'm sort of shocked to find that I got that large a difference when I was expecting none at all.