Thread: Vista Home Premium stopped connecting to network

Vista Home Premium stopped connecting to network

I have a business network with a server running Windows Server 2003. All computers except one run XP Pro.

I have a laptop running Vista Home Premium. Up until this morning it was able to connect to shared folders on the server (been working like so for months.)

I disconnected the mapped network drive and tried to recreate but I kept getting errors (either it couldn't find it or the user was not able to connect)
    I even tried using administrator as the log in
    I disable IPv6 as suggested in other posts. Nothing changed
    I recreated the wireless connection on the laptop - still nothing.

I noticed the laptop had updates available and I installed Vista SP2. Still no luck.

The network doesn't show up when I browse for the folder when setting up the networked drive (it never did when I initially setup the mapped drive.)

I KNOW home premium shouldn't be able to connect to a business network, but it worked for months now. Any suggestions?

Re: Vista Home Premium stopped connecting to network

Troubleshoot network connection problems as follows:

• Open Network Diagnostics by right-clicking the network icon in the notification area, and then clicking Diagnose and repair.
    • Make sure that all wires are connected.
    • If you're trying to connect to another computer, make sure that computer is on and that you have enabled file and printer sharing on your network.
    • If the problem began after you installed new software, check your connection settings to see if they have been changed.
      1. Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.
      2. Right-click the connection, and then click Properties. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Check your router. Because of the new networking features in Windows Vista, some older network routers are not fully compatible with Windows Vista and can cause problems. You can test your router to see whether it is fully compatible with Windows Vista by running the Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool.

Re: Vista Home Premium stopped connecting to network

Thank you for the suggestions

1. Ran it, but it did not find any issues
    2. Normally connected through wireless network. It's reading the wireless network just fine. It can print to a networked computer. Tried connecting through an ethernet cable but the problems still exist.
    3. The server is on and running. I'm not having an issue on the XP Pro computer I'm on now.
    4. No new software added.
    5. It was working for months