Thread: Remote storage notification service

Remote storage notification service

Hi,, I need some urgent help from you all guys. I am windows Vista user and use get some Remote storage notification. To be frank i am not aware if this services. But when i am trying to stop this Remote storage notification service it gives me error saying,"Could not pause the Remote Storage Notification service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error." What is it ? Please help.

Re: Remote storage notification service

Remote Storage Notification service notifies the user when a user program attempts to read from or write to files that are only available from secondary storage media.RSS uses a junction point from the original file location that references the actual file stored on tape. The file name remains on the server, but the data is moved to the tape drive. When you attempt to gain access to the file, the server uses the junction point to find the data on the tape. If the tape is not present, a dialog box prompting you to load the tape is displayed at the server's console.

The error message occurs when you try to stop or pause this service because the service cannot detect a remote storage device. To fix this error you need to verify that a remote storage device is connected.

Due to the extended period of time Remote storage notification service takes to access a file that has been moved to tape, Remote Storage notifies the user when an attempt to read a migrated file occurs.A general server system without an imposed GUI enables the end purchaser to customize the user interface as well as execute tools to monitor and control the operation of the system.

You can use Rsdiag.exe to examine remote storage databases and display diagnostic information. Rsdiag.exe can output the contents of remote storage databases and property files to text files. You can use Rsdiag.exe and Rsdir.exe together to diagnose problems in the databases and to recover lost data.

To stop the Remote storage notification service make sure that a remote storage device is connected. If it is not connected than it will give you error saying 'This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error' when you try to pause them.