Thread: Security Log full

Security Log full

I have windows xp pro, and i have given access to my bro with the limited account , it was working fine till last night but he can't login anymore with that account and getting the error messege saying security log is full only the admin can login.

"The security log on this system is full. Only the administrator can log on to fix the problem"
    What does it mean? Any ideas ? How can i resolve it?

Re: Security Log full

This issue happens because your security log is full and can no longer write events to its log file.Overwrite the security events as you need more space, If you set this option up you should never have this error message again.

1. Goto Start-> Settings->Administrative Tools and double click Event Viewer.
    2. Right-click Security and then click Properties.
    3. In the Log Size area of the Security Properties window, click the "Overwrite events as needed" option under when maximum log size is reached.
    4. Click OK and Close Event Viewer.

Application and system logging start automatically when you start the computer. Logging stops when an event log becomes full and cannot overwrite itself, either because it has been set for manual clearing or because the first event in the log is not old enough. You use Group Policy to set up security logging.

To define logging parameters for each kind of log, in the Event View console tree, right-click the type of log, and then click Properties. On the General tab, you can set the maximum size of the log and specify whether the events are overwritten or stored for a certain period of time.
    More info you can get here : Setting options for logging events

The Full Security Log refers to the security log in Event Viewer and you receiving this message because it is full and no further entries can be added. As a result windows XP prevents non-administrators from logging into the system until this log has been cleared by a user who is part of the local Administrators Group. To resolve it Log in click right on my computer > manage > expand event viewer > select security and right click > clear all events > select no when asked to save log. Also after that click right on security > properties > select overwrite events as needed.