Thread: load balance t1 and dsl with cisco router

load balance t1 and dsl with cisco router

My client purchased a Cisco 2600 with NM of four ethernet ports. As I only suggest him about this because i thought that load balancing will be mill on the router that will only load balancing this would be as per theory I aware about load balancing, He will start by connecting three Ethernet ports to three different DSL lines. But I think that he can't send one file over multiple links at the same time, How he should find the way out of this Please suggest.

Re: load balance t1 and dsl with cisco router

Unless the ISP is actively cooperating by supporting BGP (or equivilent), You could run pretty much any Cisco router with dual Ethernet interfaces as long as they support 802.1Q trunking and you have a switch that supports 802.1Q trunking. You can run 4 dialer interfaces with PPPoE each tied to one of the 4 VLAN subinterfaces and configure 4 default routes, one pointing to each provider or the ISP is one of the rare ones that supports MLPPP over DSL, then the kind of load-balancing you can configure is to have some degree of control over balancing of -outgoing- packets, but no control over -incoming- packets.

That is all well and good if you are running a routing protocol like BGP and taking a full view of the Internet routing table. But in your situation that wont work...what you are asking for isn't going to be a true "balance". All OER needs is a static default route and more than 1 internet connection. That is all we have on the 1841 at one site. if you arrange NAT on the <N> lines so that the outgoing packets on the lines have source addresses that are publically routed to that line, then at least the replies will go back to the same line.

As far as the FTP and HTTP, you will need to use acl's and apply them to the appropriate interfaces. It works for us on a per packet basis. We have it setup to keep the utilization on each link within 10% of each other and it does. The mrtg graphs show the utilization is actually as we configured it to be.For the rest of the traffic, you would need 3 default routes, CEF enabled and the 'ip load-sharing per-packet' on each interface. I would vote for trying OER just for the fact that it is capable of being deployed on a single router, since you have no control with the other ISP ends.