Thread: change IP address

change IP address

How to change the IP address that is assigned by BSNL?
    I know that opening this link ( http:***//192.168.1.1/rebootinfo.cgi ) without the "***" would reset my modem. But it may not always change my IP address. Generally, if the modem is switched off for more than half a minute than the IP address changes.
    How to get it done by means other than physically turning on and off the modem?
    Thanks

I had a look at these threads but they suggest that it is not possible to do what I want to do.

Change IP address from cmd
    How to change IP address
    How to change WAN IP address?

Re: change IP address

When you are connect to the Internet, your PC is automatically allocated an IP(Internet Protocol) address to identify it to the outside world. There are two types of IP addresses, dynamic and static. Dynamic IP changes from session to session while static always remains same. IP addresses could be dynamic (that typically change with each session) and static (that are permanently allocated to you). BSNL Broadband provides both dynamic and static IP. However the static IP is given only in Business 5000 and Business 9000 plans.

Imran's Broadband Helper Utility.
    This free utility is for those persons who are using BSNL DataOne broadband connection, Plan - Home 500, Home 500 C, Home 500 Combo plus etc (or any other connection which uses ADSL Router and having the "free usage time" concept) and wan't to utilize the free usage time efficiently.

What the S/W does is:-
    • It can disable your connection from 09:00-02:00, such that there will be ZERO usage during this period.
    • It can reboot your ADSL Modem at 02:01, such that a new connection start in free time.
    • It can determine your IP address, before and after every Reboot.
    • You can schedule any application like uTorrent to automatically start at some specified time.
    • It can try to raise speed or maintain connectivity during the entire night.
    • It can reboot your ADSL Modem at 07:55, such that a new connection start at that time.
    • It can ShutDown your PC at 08:00 AM, if you wish.

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I appreciate your help. But you have made too many assumptions regarding what i want. I simply want to be able to change by dynamic IP addresss assigned by BSNL without turning on and off the modem physically. Its ok if a software does it. But the IP address should be changed after reboot.
    Hope, I have made my question clearer.

How do i set up dhcp?
    I also have linux, so any linux related instructions to reset my internet connection with new IP address would also help

There are many tutorials available on "How to setup DHCP", just search on google for this. And about resting ip in linux, Which linux you have? i have ubuntu and you have to go into Networking and make sure Ubuntu is set to "Auto" for DHCP, not "Manual". Then turn off the PC. Unplug your modem. Turning it off isn't the same as unplugging. We want it totally without power for a minute or so. That way it clears its memory. Plug the modem back in. Let it go through its start up cycle. Then, with the PC connected to the modem, turn it on. The modem should talk to the PC.

Then turn off the PC. Unplug your modem.
    Maybe, you did not read this:
    I simply want to be able to change by dynamic IP addresss assigned by BSNL without turning on and off the modem physically. Its ok if a software does it.
    (Actually, I am using Ubuntu too)

I think simply click disconnect this disconnects you from ISP and then after few seconds click connect you will new IP. but IF you have router then renewing ip will not work.