Thread: UNC browsing in Vista very slow

UNC browsing in Vista very slow

Hello All,

I have researched this topic on my own and tried many fixes but nothing so far seems to resolve the problem.

So here it is:

I have a field office of about 45 people who are currently being migrated to Vista Business from Windows 2000. Everything went smooth except now when a Vista user browses out to a network share from a UNC the network performance is horrible. It's so bad it can take 5 minutes just to pull up the directory list.

I created a mapped drive to the same location and that is supper fast.

My company by policy does not used mapped drives so I need to get the UNC browsing functional.

I have tried many client configuration changes but so far nothing is helping. I am thinking maybe there may need to be a configuration change on the server at this point. Maybe something like a WINS flush. But really I am not sure where to go at this point.

Any advise would be most welcome. I can provide any information about the environment necessary.

Re: UNC browsing in Vista very slow

It seems there is now a hotfix for this problem. : A long delay occurs when you try to open a network share by entering a path in the Run box on a Windows Vista-based or Windows Server 2008-based computer

After applying this hotfix and rebooting you can now resolve UNC (SMB) shares lightning fast (just like in XP) and the way it should be.

This hotfix is included with SP2 when it arrives.

Thank you for the response however I found that KB too and tried to apply the patch but I recieve an error that says the patch is not made for my version of windows.

There are reason which is causing the UNC network to work slow. Hope this suggestion can help you out to get some solution. For this first thing any shortcut in the My Network Places makes the browsing extremely slow. So when you open your My Network Places folder the system refreshes the page and attempt to read the icon information causing the system to work extremely slow. Delete all the icons from the folder. You will also have to see that whenever you open file through UNC, Windows XP generates a short cut to My Network automatically. You can prevent this by editing the Windows Registry key. Click on Start > Run > Type Regedit. Navigate to the locations - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoRecentDocsNetHood = 1. Second solution you can try is create a shortcut to the explorer.exe and pass the UNC name of the resource - explorer /e, \\Server\FileShare.

Explorer Locks Files Randomly

There are information of which the Explorer of Windows can work very slow and/or stop responding if the profile of some to obtain permissions in evil been.

To fix this issue login to Administrator account & then rename the folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\<profilename>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows

Now when you login back to that account the folder must be having the correct permission to access...!