Thread: How does a usb wireless adapter work?

How does a usb wireless adapter work?

Hi friends,

I am having Toshiba laptop with me and i am planning to buy usb wireless adapter, but before buying it i would like to know how does it work and that the same time if i am planning to have a connection between my laptop and computer do i need to have a router for that and at the same time can i use it anywhere because most of the time i am out of my house for business meetings.

When you use usb wireless adapter in this desktop users can also join the network with the ease of a USB plug-in, without opening their PC cases; laptop users can enjoy the benefits of staying mobile-while connected to the Internet. At the same time it also provides 3 times the wireless range of 802.11a adapters Offers backward-compatibility with all 802.11b network devices Features wireless 64- and 128-bit WEP Encryption Keeps notebook batteries running longer with advanced, low-power consumption.

Normally usb wireless adapter is different from other wireless technologies on the market because it spreads data transmission over a very wide frequency spectrum in the form of brief, low-power pulses. This allows multiple devices, such as wireless computer, hand-held devices and other network appliances in the network, to share the print resources. A printer without a wireless adapter cannot work in this shared environment unless one uses an Ethernet cable to connect the printer to the router. In short, this allows the wireless system to avoid transmission at troublesome frequencies, such as the 5 GHz range (802.11a, some cordless phones). The orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) scheme, developed by the WiMedia Alliance and selected as the exclusive radio platform for Certified Wireless USB, allows the bit rate and signal strength of each carrier to adapt so that good channels get used more than those that hamper transmission.

You have PC running Windows 2000, XP, or Vista PC because this is the minimum system requirements for using usb wireless adapter. At the same time wireless adapter can also come in a dongle form, where it plugs into the printer as a serial or parallel connection. Another type can connect to the PCI card slot, which requires opening the printer and installing a wireless adapter card.