Thread: Is there any alternative to Spybot

Is there any alternative to Spybot

Although Spybot being a great program works wonderfully on my computer, I am in search of some alternative to it. The only drawback about this software is that every time you update it you have to re-download ALL the updated definitions for the program. This irritates me somewhat. Does anyone know any alternative to Spybot?

re: Is there any alternative to Spybot

WinPatrol is the best alternative. WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. As a robust SECURITY MONITOR , WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. As a MULTI PURPOSE SUPPORT UTILITY WinPatrol replaces multiple system utilities with its enhanced functionality. Traditional security programs scan your hard drive searching for previously identified threats. WinPatrol will alert you to dangerous new programs while others prepare to update their definition/signature virus data files.

I use StartupMonitor on my Windows Vista computer. StartupMonitor is a small utility that runs transparently and notifies you when any program registers itself to run at system startup. It does not require Startup Control Panel. When you choose not to allow a program to register itself, the program's entry becomes disabled in Startup Control Panel, so you can go back and enable it later if necessary.

Why don't you use Windows Defender? Its free from Microsoft. Windows Defender helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software by detecting and removing known spyware from your computer. You can even try out Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool checks Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows Server 2003 computers for and helps remove infections by specific, prevalent malicious software—including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom. When the detection and removal process is complete, the tool displays a report describing the outcome, including which, if any, malicious software was detected and removed.