Thread: How to rename user profile

How to rename user profile

I am having some facing some issue with my Windows Vista, I had renamed the user account, but it didn't change the profile name. I added a new administrator account to get around the problem of not being able to rename the profile while the account was open, but that's didn't solve the problem. Is there a straightforward way to change the profile name.

Rename user profile in Vista

If you want to change the user profile name of any user then you can change it by going into Control panel over there select User Accounts then you will get list of user made on the computer over there select the user which you want to have rename user profile and finally click on OK and reboot your computer for changes to get effected.

Rename user profile in wndows Vista

I have try to do that but it didn't worked out for me at the same time i have also try to create a new create a new user with the same name but over here i am not able to transfer files and folder which are in Documents & settings. Is there any alternative way where i can rename user profile in Windows Vista.

How to rename user profile in windows vista

For Renaming or deleting a folder under user profile location folder you need to locate the following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList by going into registry, once you have found remove the subkey that contains the reference to the profile. Now finally reboot your system and login as the user this will create a new profile instance.