Thread: Edimax BR-6541K and Quad wan

Edimax BR-6541K and Quad wan

I want to purchase a quad-wan router and my budget is Rs. 17000. I searched a lot on internet but just found Edimax BR-6541K. Can you help me if I can use this router for load balancing? Does anyone know any better option for this or this is the only one which I can have?

Re: Edimax BR-6541K and Quad wan

With multiple WAN connections and BR-6541K, you will get the effective addition of the combined speeds for all users. You will also get a redundant, fault-tolerant, and fail-over capability to ensure that you will have continued Internet access when one of the ISP’s link is down. To some businesses this reliable connection is vital because the downtime of even just a few minutes is equal to quite a bit of revenue loss.

Features and Benefits:
    • Multiple WAN Ports: Aggregate bandwidth by combining 2 WAN lines
    • DSL or Cable: Mix DSL and Cable modem broadband lines
    • Failover: Failover between WAN ports for un-interrupted connection
    • Load Balancing: Distributed over the dual WAN ports
    • 20Mbps Data Rate: High WAN to LAN throughput
    • T1 alternatives: Take advantage of the low-cost DSL & cable modem

Go for Cisco RV016 Multi WAN VPN Router. The Cisco RV016 Multi WAN VPN Router is an advanced connection-sharing network solution for your small business needs. Like any router, it lets multiple computers in your office share a connection to a public or private network. However, the 16 ports on this router feature unprecedented versatility. Up to seven of the switched ports can be set up for load balancing or backup connections to help you stay connected and to reduce network bottlenecks. In addition, a dedicated network edge (DMZ) port gives you a publicly accessible channel so you can set up a web or FTP server, unimpeded by the powerful security features of the router.

The VPN capability creates encrypted "tunnels" through the Internet, providing highly secure connections into your office network for up to 100 remote-office or traveling users. Users connecting through a VPN tunnel are attached to your company's network -- with secure access to files, email, and your intranet -- just as if they were in the building. You can also use the VPN capability to allow users on your small office network to securely connect out to a corporate network.

The Cisco RV016 can serve as a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server and has a powerful stateful packet inspection (SPI) firewall to help protect your PCs against intruders and most known Internet attacks. It also supports the Trend Micro ProtectLink Gateway Security Service, which enables you to dynamically block unwanted or unsafe URLs and emails. Configuration is a snap with the web browser-based configuration utility.

I have tried Edimax BR-6541K router for load-balancing. I faced a lot of latency issues because of its incapability of supporting huge numbers of connections (above 700). However there are also some benefits of this router such as: URL blocking by address or keywords, or backup Router configuration. There are many others which a user wants and would like.