Thread: What is the purpose of network printer

What is the purpose of network printer

I am having a single CANON printer with me which I want to share with my staff members. I thought of connecting it to a single printer and then make it shared so that every one in the office would be able to use it. But my hardware vendor advised me to get a NIC card and install it on the printer to connect it to a network. But what is the use of network printer although the same can be achieved by simply connecting it to a single local computer? What is the purpose of network printer?

Re: What is the purpose of network printer

Some printers are known as or serves as network printers by allowing the network users to send the print request from their computer. All you need to do is install the printer drivers on individual computer and that's it you can use your printer from anywhere within the network. The printer will create a pool for each request and print the documents according to its hierarchy.

The major disadvantage of using the shared local printer is that you need to keep on the computer all the time even though that specific computer is not in use. But this limitation is overcome with network printer. The network printer allows you to share it to other computers in the network. If you connect your printer directly to a router or a switch, you can easily use it without the need of any computer.

To add a printer on your network, all you need is install the NIC card on it and with the help of a computer, configure it to get it into your network. Now just install the drivers on each computer on which you want to use this printer. You are done. You can now move to any computer to give a print command. This was not the case with your local shared printer setup. You wouldn't be able to use the printer freely as it is possible in network printer setup.

When a printer is shared on a workstation, the workstation's processor and disk are used during network print jobs that other users send to the print queue. This means that the shared printer program that is running on the workstation uses valuable processor clock cycles to do its job. At the same time, your disk drive is also being used as temporary storage while the print job is sent to the printer. The other disadvantage is the extra work for your network shell or redirector, such as Novell's VLMs. They now have to process an additional stream of data in the form of the print jobs from the queue that are directed to your workstation.

When you use a network printer, all print jobs are sent directly to the printer's network interface card via a cable. On many occasions, this card has additional memory for spooling and therefore results in faster printing. Besides, the print server is now dedicated, so printing is the only job it does; it is much faster and more efficient than a shared printer attached to a workstation.

Hope this helps.

printer cartridge su Guest

A network printer allows you to send multiple print request to a single computer that will execute the command. This is very useful especially if you are running a computer or printing services.
    Last edited by abhishek; 10-08-2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: External Link Remove

certifications4you Guest

you can print documents anywhere in a LAN.

View the attached PDF file. I have included step by step instructions and pics showing how to add a network printer wo a Windows machine.
    Here is the text without the pics.

Hope this helps.

Preparation

In order to install a network printer, you must know your printer's Manufacturer, Model Name, and IP Address.

The Manufacturer and Model Name can be found on the printer case, an example is HP LaserJet 4000N .
    The IP Address can be found on a label attached to the printer. An example of the IP Address is 141.161.888.999.
    If your printer does not have a label indicating the IP Address, or you can't identify what model it is, please call your Help Desk.

Setting Up a Network Printer

1. Click on the Start button, then click Control Panel, then click Printers and Faxes, then click Add Printer.

2. A new Add Printer Wizard window opens. Click Next to start.

3. Select Local printer attached to this computer. Make sure Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer is NOT checked.

4. Then click Next to continue.

5. We will create a new port for your network printer. Select Create a new port.

6. Beside Type of Port, click on the down arrow, then click on Standard TCP/IP Port.

7. Click Next to continue.

8. A new Add Printer Port Wizard will open. Click Next to continue.

9. You must now type your printer's IP Address in the Printer Name or IP Address field.

10. The Port Name will automatically be filled when you enter the IP Address. Do not change the Port Name.

11. Click Next to continue.

12. IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS, then you will see the screen on the right. This means that the IP Address for the printer is NOT available on the network. Select the Back button and make sure you entered the correct IP Address. Check to see that your network printer is powered on and displays a 'ready' status.

13. IF YOU DID NOT HAVE PROBLEMS, Windows XP will scan the network to find your printer's IP Address. This may take a few seconds. Select Finish to continue.

14. You must now select the printer's manufacturer and model. Windows XP will automatically select the detected manufacturer and printer driver. Normally, you will not have to change this selection.

15. OPTIONAL: If your printer is listed but you have more than one printer model to choose from, please select the model with PS, if available.

16. IF your network printer is NOT automatically detected, select the Windows Update button to find the proper software drivers.

17. You will be prompted to confirm the selected printer driver. Make sure Keep existing driver is selected, then click Next to continue.

18. You will be prompted to assign the printer a Name. You can use the default name, or add more info to indicate the printer location, such as My Office, Hallway, Foyer, Room 222, etc.

19. Select Yes if you want to use the printer as the default printer. Click Next to continue.

20. You will be prompted to share the network printer. Do NOT share the network printer.

21. Click Next to continue.

22. You will be prompted to print a test page. Select Yes, then click Next.

23. Check your network printer to make sure your page printed. Select Yes when prompted to confirm a successful test page.

24. Click on the Finish button to complete the Add Printer Wizard.

Congratulations! If your test page printed, you have successfully installed the network printer.