Thread: TTL is expired in transit

TTL is expired in transit

Hey guys,
    Suddenly my connection is working really slow. I ran the ping command to google.com to check the continuity of my internet connection. But in between its giving report message as "TTL is expired in transit" . What it does mean? I'm not getting this message continuously, proper replies are also coming with this message. Any info?

Re: TTL is expired in transit

TTL=Time to live . Every packet has a life timer that keeps it from looping forever. The error means that the TTL of the IP packet, which is by default = 128, is expiring before it reaches the destination. Is it happening every site you ping?

The TTL value determines the maximum amount of time an IP packet may live in the network without reaching its destination. It is effectively a bound on the number of routers an IP packet may pass through before being discarded. This message indicates that the TTL expired in transit. Increase the TTL value using the -i parameter with the ping command. Call your ISP and show them your ping and tracert commands output they should correct the problem.

IP packet has a TTL flag. The message "TTL expired in transit" is concern to the TTL value of the packet, which is decreased by 1 each time the packet is routed. When the value become 0 the router drop the packet and send an ICMP message Time-to-live exceeded in transit. This is done to prevent packets to be routed infinitely when there is routing problem on networks.