Thread: How to find my modems IP address

How to find my modems IP address

I have a Linksys modem around 3 years old. I found last week that its version to so old and so I should upgrade it. I went through the process of firmware upgradation and everything went proper except this that I am unable to access my modem now. It was previously configured by some product supplier's guy. So after upgradation I am not able to configure my modem in order to connect it to internet. Before this the IP was 192.168.240.50 but this IP is unrecognized by any of my web browsers. How can I find out what is the new IP address of my Linksys modem?

Re: How to find my modems IP address

Every device has a unique IP address assigned by device manufacturer which never changes during the entire life of that product. However you can configure it as per your requirement. The product supplier's guy must have changed the IP address according to his convenience and you must be trying that IP address which has been changed during the upgradation process. You can find out the default IP address of your Linksys modem using the product manual provided by Linksys along with its modem.

There is yet another way to know your modem's IP address. If your computer NIC is configured to Obtain IP address automatically, you can try out the below steps:

1. Go to command prompt. (START - Run - "cmd").
    2. Type "ipconfig /release"
    3. Type "ipconfig /renew"
    4. Now type "ipconfig /all".

You will get a list. Search your NIC related details and there you can find the IP address of your modem (if it is directly connected to your computer) under "Default Gateway".

There is yet another way to know the IP address of your modem. Go to Network Connection window (Start - Control Panel) and right click on your NIC. Select Repair. Now again right click on your NIC and select Status. Go to Support tab, you will find the IP address of your modem under the option named "Default Gateway".