Thread: Use router as an access point wifi

Use router as an access point wifi

I just subscribe to FreeBox, and I use my old modem / router Wireless NETGEAR DG834G as an access point wifi network only and not as a point of internet access. In fact, my house is big and does not freebox wifi in every home.
    I have an ethernet cable that connects freebox a socket at the other end of the house where I could plug the router.

I thought I could plug my old router has taken this as a simple wifi access point to the network and can connect to the net via freebox and share my files with my two other PCs connected (1 in the ethernet the other in wifi) on freebox.

Re: Use router as an access point wifi

Its should work against by not forgetting to configure the netgear
    - Set the ip to be on the same network
    - Disable the DHCP netgear
    - And enables the DHCP relay netgerar with the primary ip of the router (if possible with the firmware you have) so that it is the primary router of your network that assigns all ip (even wireless).

If you do not, find your manual netgear to see if all is possible, if not installed another firmware DDWRT type that you allow.

There is no RJ45 WAN port on your modem router. So you can not connect to the network as a device. It's best to buy a wifi access point.

Your netgear will see:
    - IP: 192.168.0.x with X between 2 and 255 (1 being the primary router), I now advise you not to choose between 200 and 255 so as not you end up with conflicting ip (ip for 1 2 machine)
    - Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 (same subnet)
    - DHCP or you can activate the relay and enter the ip of the first router is 192.168.0.1, or if you can not, you configure the DHCP to assign ip on the beach 192.168.0.201/255 the netgear router and the primary 192.168.0.1/199 (like its your network, so it will be 2 since on the same beach and same subnet).
    - If DHCP mode is not in a relay, then you will need as the DNS IP address of your primary router (or those of you ISP) for the netgear can transmit DNS appliances connected to wifi.