Thread: What is multiplexing in OSI model

What is multiplexing in OSI model

I want to know what do you mean by multiplexing with reference to OSI model? I have heard this term many a times in my college and also at many places but don't know what does it mean. Is there anyone who can explain me what is multiplexing based on OSI model?

Re: What is multiplexing in OSI model

According to wikipedia, multiplexing (also known as muxing) is a process where multiple analog message signals or digital data streams are combined into one signal over a shared medium. The aim is to share an expensive resource. The multiplexed signal is transmitted over a communication channel, which may be a physical transmission medium. The multiplexing divides the capacity of the low-level communication channel into several higher-level logical channels, one for each message signal or data stream to be transferred. A reverse process, known as demultiplexing, can extract the original channels on the receiver side. A device that performs the multiplexing is called a multiplexer (MUX), and a device that performs the reverse process is called a demultiplexer (DEMUX).

Multiplexing means adding signals together for transmission and breaking them apart upon reception. It is the process where multiple channels are combined for transmission over a common transmission path. This activity indeed occurs at the Physical Layer in the OSI model while multiple access also involves a media access control protocol.

Multiplexing is the process of combining two or more signals into one signal. A two input multiplexing device will require three inputs; one for each of the signals and one for the control signal. A multiplexing technique may be further extended into a multiple access method or channel access method.