Thread: Help with Vista Networking

Help with Vista Networking

Hi All,
    Am looking for some help on getting my new Acer Aspire 8730 working. It is two days old an am already having problems with it, or more to the face vista. I am getting horrible connection speeds and won't load 90% of pages. My xp laptop works perfectly fine. Even loading my routers(Gnet BB0073) web interface lags. If I try to ping the router 1/2 the time it drops packets the other time none are dropped. I have the same results if I connect wirelessly

To Date I have tried:

Disabling IPv6
    Disabling autotunning
    Removed Macfee
    Changed routers
    Changed cat 5 cables
    Updated drivers(both ethernet and wireless)
    Put on Service Pack 2
    Safemode(with same results)

I've run out of ideas of things to try. Hope that you might have some suggestions.

Comp Details:
    Acer Aspire 8730
    Intel duo processor 2.0GHz
    4GB ram
    Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
    DSL connection
    Windows Vista Home Premium

Thanks for your help

Jeff

Re: Help with Vista Networking

Spyware, viruses, and other programs will spoil the health of your computer Internet connection.But your Internet connection speed can also be depends on add-on programs, the amount of memory the computer has, hard disk space and condition, and the programs that are running.But the kingpins are spyware and viruses. Spyware can slow your system by interfering with your browser and monopolizing your Internet connection. Spyware monitors your Internet use and keystrokes, which adds delays. The problem is compounded when there are multiple spyware programs running at the same time. If the problem is severe enough, you can lose connectivity altogether.Scan for spyware and other potentially unwanted software.Even with a fast connection, external factors, such as busy websites or spreading computer viruses, can slow the entire web. Popular websites can become overwhelmed with users.During times of heavy computer virus outbreaks, the Internet can slow down. Many viruses spread by causing computers to send out hundreds or thousands of copies of the virus. This can slow the Internet by sheer volume.Local Internet congestion can also result in slower-than-normal connection speeds.

Hi deveritt,
    Thanks for the reply

I did concider spyware but with the laptop being new and have yet to get a connection fast enough to load a webpage I did not think there would be any. But none the less I have ran a scan with nothing found

also ran ie without addons with the same results. And have tried firefox

Also turned off defender and firewalls with no effect to the speed

Any other ideas?

Which is your internet connection? I mean have you contacted your Internet Service Provider? May be you are getting very strong or weak connection IMO.
    This has happened in my case but I had Hathway so no question of router.
    Sorry but dont have much Idea with the router. Have you tried changing your Ip addresses?

Do you have a Vista recovery disk? Or Vista Install DVD. Run a factory restore and see if you get your internet connection speed issues solved. To be true Vista is a horrifying Operating System. It still has so many unfixed bugs. May be this is one of them... You need to restore your laptop to default factory settings and see what happens. But before trying this, use your ethernet port to connect to the internet. Configure your lan card to 10 Mbps half duplex. If this works, then your Lan card is fault. I did not suggest this at first because you are having same problem with wireless to, so the changes of this to work are very less...

Can you provide us your configuration details on your NIC as well as on your router? This seems to me some setup issue. Ideally pinging to router shouldn't result into packets loss. Is your NIC configured to obtain IP automatically? Also how old is your router? Why don't you request a new DNS address from your ISP because this may also be the problem of DNS which is not able to resolve the addresses properly.