Thread: Why isn't router assigning ip address

Why isn't router assigning ip address

I am using MTNL Internet connection with dsl modem. I access internet on my desktop and on laptop My desktop computer is hard wired through the router & works & surfs fine. when i try to surf internet on my laptop through wifi will not connect to the router. In going to the router page in my browser I noticed I am not connected to the internet. When I try to connect I get a msg. that the router cannot get a ip address.

Re: Why isn't router assigning ip address

Visit the settings of your router. Under 'Lan' you 'DHCP' creation. The router shares the ip addresses in your local network. Set also "Maximum Number of DHCP Users" at least 2 if you want to connect 2 PC's. On the PC's make you the 'auto obtain an ip' in your network properties (tcp / ip) is checked.

Auto ip would give both PCs should have a different ip. So put both PCs and automatically restart them. (Do not forget DNS to auto, the setting just below automatically ip). Obtaining an IP of the router, such as said DHCP ip and the pool, but who say you are correct. Look possibly after as there are no restrictions set in the router for certain ip's. Look beyond that there is no security (MAC address) up.

This problem occurs because of a difference in design between Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). In Windows XP SP2, the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets is set to 0 (off). In Windows Vista, the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets is not disabled. Therefore, some routers and some DHCP servers on non-Microsoft DHCP discovery packets is not complete.

1. Click Start , Type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
    2. Click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Tcpip \ Parameters \ Interfaces \ (GUID)

Click on this registry subkey (GUID) that matches the network adapter on the network.
    3. On the Edit menu, select New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    4. Type DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle in the New Value # 1 box and press Enter.
    5. Right-click DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle and then click Modify.
    6. Type 1 in the Value data box, and click OK.
    7. Close the Registry Editor.

Reset the Router to factory defaults or If the router has the facility of a firmware Try updating it usings its Manufacturers website .The Problem is with the DHCP service of your router ,So If You try the above steps It might resolve the problem on your router.If else Post again Let me give another solution for this problem .